Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog Assignment #3

Technology in the classroom.

1. a) In the video Technology in Special Education, it shows us how technology has improved the learning abilities in special needs children. Some students who can't talk can now use their computers to type what they want to say instead of having to point out every individual letter. Children with reading disabilities can now be read to through an iPod instead of being separated from everyone so a person could read to them. Technology is making a giant leap for special needs children. They are able to do a lot more individual work because of it.
I will definitely be using technology to help my students progress. I will be using anything in anyway I can to help them. This video was amazing to watch because it showed me that technology really can make a difference in some children's lives.

b) I chose the app Jungle Fractions. It is for the iPad only. I chose this app because it would have been handy to have over Christmas break while I was home. My mom was having trouble helping my little brother with fraction problems. If we had this app, we could have learned how to work through the problems we were having. (Also it would help if I had an iPad. The app won't work without it!)
When I become a teacher (and a parent), I will use apps like the ones in How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism to help my students and children to learn as much as they can. Watching this boy be able to sit down and (for all he knows!) play a game and learn something from it is amazing to me. It inspires me to make sure I know all the possibilities there are to help kids learn.

2.

3. A Vision of Students Today shows (on average) how many hours students need in a day to accommodate everything they have to do and what they want to do. That is 26.5. Obviously we don't have that. The way they do everything in a day is by multitasking. This could take some time away from studying that needs to be done. In a way technology has really helped students to be able to do research and type up papers, but it has also hurt them in the fact that they are more worried about what their friends on Facebook are doing. Two of the signs on the video said, "I Facebook through most of my classes," and, "I bring my laptop to class, but I'm not working on class stuff." This causes a problem for the professors on how do they keep their students' attention so they will learn. I've had people tell me that most professors don't care whether a student passes their class or not, but they didn't become an educator just so they can teach the same material semester after semester.
Watching this video through a future educator's eyes, I see some issues with allowing laptops in class, but there are some benefits. If the professor uses technology to teach rather than lectures and a chalkboard, students will be more interested. I had a professor last semester who used a power point to lecture, yet we used online material outside of class. Also, when he needed to explain something further, he would draw an example on the dry erase board. He knew how to keep most students' attention. When I become a teacher I plan on incorporating several different strategies to keep my students interested. Because I know how tough it is to sit through a boring lecture everyday of class and not get anything out of it.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you say that technology really does help with learning, and it can for various reasons. You mentioned how some kids can read through an ipod instead of being separated from the rest of the kid's class. Those are the kids who have more trouble than others do in reading. I have to agree with you on how you said you will definitely use technology in the future, when at a teaching level.
    I am in school for secondary math education, and I do think that it is neat that you can get apps on your phone for math work. The fractions app you mentioned could possibly be something to consider telling my students later in my career. I mean, by the time I get to be a teacher, I feel like the teaching system will be set up easier for teachers. This opinion of mine all falls back to technology, which is a good thing.
    I do remember reading that after calculating everything in a day, we would need 26.5 hours in a day. I almost want to disagree with whoever said that. And no, I am not saying that you quoted that. The thing that will help with students is being able to discipline themselves as an individual to work on school work in class when on a laptop. The thing that can be aggravating about that is that in every city, there are always those kids who just do not care to listen. Another way of saying for some others would be, maybe some just do not have the motive to work on computers as much as others do. I think using technology as a teacher is a good idea, as long as the teacher also has other ways of teaching as well. It is fair to say that not all students have the computer ability as some other students do. See, I feel like a teacher using technology some of the class time is smarter than using technology the entire time. Again, the reason is because not every student prefers to learn by technology. Incorporating several different strategies can make you a very effective teacher. I have the same mind set as you do, and as a math teacher, I am still going to make my students write on some type of board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly,

    Technology provides educators with multiple resources when assisting those with special needs. The resourceful use and management of today's wonderful resources is an important step in improving the public education system. I am glad that you realize the importance of technology's presence in all aspects of American education.

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete